Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Precious/Push Film and Book Review

Precious, the movie itself was almost identical to the book Push. Although, I had a different experience with both watching the movie and reading the book. When I read the book, I really liked the fact that we were really able to get inside Precious’s head, we were able to see her thoughts, and be honest to the point where some of the things she was coming clean about were disturbing. Like this one part of the book where she reflects on her father raping her and she mentions that sometimes, she hates the fact that it can feel good at times. I felt like that part specifically in the text was emotionally distressing for me, maybe it’s because I think of a friend of mine who had similar experiences with her father. Thinking about that broke me, it’s disgusting how someone you place your trust in and is supposed to love you takes advantage of you in that way, it pisses me off, I got sick to my stomach. But I feel like when I watched the movie, I was really able to see the abuse come to life. Like when I was reading it, it wasn’t as intense as I thought the film would make it be, the whole fight with her mother and her mom throwing the TV almost hitting Precious and her son, that part got to me the most. I think at that moment, I just really wanted to leave the class for a breather. I feel like the film really honored the text and really had you in this place of empathy for people who have been or are currently going through something terrible as this. What I liked in the book was we saw how far Precious has come through her writing and how much it’s improving, and in the film we see her improvement through her additude and demanding the respect she’s never had from others and leaving her own life. I love how the ending is hopeful yet mysterious at the same time. I loved it.


No comments:

Post a Comment