Friday, May 29, 2015

To Kill a Mockingbird Movie Review

I personally have never read the book and I regret that a lot. People have told me so many great things about the novel and now I'm super compelled to read it, I feel like a missed something essential from English class. I feel like this one of the many books that really talk about the issues behind race and how awful stereotyping can be. So, my thoughts on the film were that it was quite compelling to watch. I couldn't really watch the whole movie, so I looked up some of the parts I missed (the price I pay for being in chamber singers, not complaining though) But from what I did watch, I thought the topic itself was good because it talks about racism and how not everything is what it seems. The movie was released around the 60’s so I really liked the black and white/old film vibe I got from it. I liked how the story starts off with cute little white kids and kind of how they are raised in a decent loving household and have a maid (who is black, which is important) and they don’t really think about that. It shows how society is just birthed into this idea of white privilege and never really think twice about the minorities. With that being said, there was a crime of rape being investigated around their little town, and the guy being accused is a black guy. With that being said, people in town assume it was him because of the completion of his skin. The kids’ father, plays the man’s lawyer and defends him until they find the man innocent and real rapist dead due to suicide. It’s upsetting that still times are different now, it’s still not changing because of the ignorance we are born into, we always judge before we know for sure what the truth is behind a person. And this book/film speaks volumes now and then. Overall, a good watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment