Thursday, April 23, 2015

Death be not Proud #9

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee do go,
Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.
Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?
One short sleep past, we wake eternally
And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.


Well that totally wasn't morbid at all, I really like this, I kind of turned it into this rap thingy because the flow in the poem was really nicely done. I like the beat and the pace that this poem was in because it kept me focused. I find this text really ironic in a sense because the author is giving Death, "life", doing that by using personification and sort of telling Death that he/she is nothing. Death, you're nothing you're just in the same level as sleeping and resting, which are obviously both very harmless things that people do on a daily basis. Death goes around living by killing people and the author challenges Death by saying that he’s never going to die, he will physically die, but he will continue to live on. The only that’s going to die, is Death itself. But it doesn’t just stop there, the speaker is so fired up about owning Death in a rap battle (at least I’d like to think so), that he calls Death a slave. Saying that all he does is hang out with terrible things such a sickness and war. Basically saying, “Death, you are so lame to the point where you hang out with the bad crowd to try to look scary. Wanna know the sad part? I can take drugs and they will have the same effects as you.”
“Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well”
I feel like this author probably experienced some loss of a loved one which is why he’s so fired up. I mean, I understand, this is a vent, a nicely written vent.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. This is very good. Can you tell me more about the rap thingy?

    ReplyDelete