Thursday, April 16, 2015

This is Just to Say #6


I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox
and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast
Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold
This is Just to Say, to me personally, seems like a really pointless poem because of the fact that it's solely about a guy's regret towards eating a plumb that didn't belong to him. And I use the word regret loosely. To me this guy only seems to be apologetic because he knew that his friend wanted it, he doesn't seem really guilt ridden because of the last lines that go "Forgive me, they were delicious, so sweet and so cold." that translated sounds more like "I'm only saying sorry because you're my bro, but that plumb was so good and I regret nothing." At least that’s what I got from it. But when the author was going to into depth about how nice the plumb tasted, you can tell in the words that he used that this plumb was some sort of temptation. He wanted to eat it this whole time but he didn’t want to go for it because of his friend, but if that obstacle was taken away, he would have eaten that plumb a long time ago. The mere fact that this is also a fruit kind of alludes to the bible story of Adam and Eve, how these two were not supposed to eat a fruit from a certain tree (they never said it was an apple), and how they were tempted and overall convinced to eat the fruit. Of course they felt remorse, but the remorse came right after the fact that God told them they were separated from him. So, does this poem just allude to a bible story, or just a guy eating raiding his buddy’s fridge? 

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good reading.

    Please be sure to proofread.

    ReplyDelete