Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The World Is Too Much With Us #4


This poem wasn't really my favorite, but I really liked the message that the author was putting out there. At first, when I read the poem, I was really confused due to the fact that I thought the author was discussing a relationship he has with someone and how it's them against the world. But that didn't really make any sense when I continued to read on because it goes to describe the earth and the atmosphere. So, with the help of google and rereading the poem, I found out that this poem isn't about a person at all, it's about the earth. "The world is too much with us", meaning that the world is fed up with us! The world is getting sick and tired of being abused and trashed, it's tired of humanity being so wrapped up in materialistic things and never really taking the time to stop and admire the beautiful sights to sniff the flowers. The tone of this poem is angry, complainy, and sad at times, this author really wants humanity to stop taking nature for granted. The themes behind this poem would have to be materialism because it mentions how everyone is wrapped up in themselves and their things. Another would have to be finding beauty because beauty is everywhere (super cliche) “This sea that bares her boosom to the moon; the wind howling at all hours.” it’s using personification to describe the sea and how it reflects the moon and the wind blowing around. It’s pretty and I think that’s why I got confused a bit when I thought they were describing a person. Yeah, I’m still a rookie when it comes to poems. But I loved the use of personification in this poem to convey a message of just taking a second to admire the beauty of earth.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment